Every now and again there's a 48hr game comp on FlashKit games
. I've not entered since the 2nd one ( Which I was really pleased to have won, so I wanted to keep my 100% record ) so I felt it was time again, to see if I can still turn it on.
It works by everyone offering up a couple of words and then at kick off two are chosen at random and that's the games theme. This time it was "human brain" and "micro-organisms".
The theme was announced at 1am ( Saturday ) and the obvious thing for me was a shoot'em up over the brain, zapping the invading baddies, so I went to bed. It's what us coders do best.
Saturday afternoon I was mulling it over, an arena shooter would be cool but I'm meant to be finishing Orbs off as it is without trying to do another, plus I knew realistically that I'd have about 16 hours to do this. Ok, a Galaga style shooter. But that means lots of attack waves, plus a scrolling background ( Without the scrolling background it would feel really really old school ). Scratch that then.
I've never written a mouse avoider as I've always found them trite and throwaway. Perfect!
Saturday I didn't get much done, the England match got in the way, mainly the front-end and the overall structure was nailed. The power-crystals ( Or "geoms" as they're actually called in the code 'cause I just couldn't think of a better term ) were in and running which was good 'cause I knew a lot of those routines would be used by the baddies.
Sunday, erm, well I finished it off. I managed to be the first person to post up a final game, as I was sick to death of working to be honest ( It only took around 12 hours in total, but by the end I was glad to see the back of it ).
The sounds were the last thing to be added, I found an old tune from a game I'm not going to finish so re-cycled that and the sfx are also from various old games. I'm not a 100% happy with them, and I wanted to add another baddie type that would explode when killed which would have caused a cool chain reaction with combo's etc. but I felt it was better to have a complete ok-ish game done on time rather than try for more but post a game with a lot of loose ends in there.
For me the comp is as much about finishing by the deadline as the game itself.
If you'd like to see the fruits of my labours, click me
Also I've posted the source, in two flavours:Just the code
( 16k )Code with fla's
( 2.5 meg )
It was written in Flex and I very much doubt it'll run out of the box straight away, but it includes the preloader code
which may be handy.
Also all the comp entries are here
. I can really recommend giving them all a play as there's some great work there in such a short space of time.